Tuesday, June 7, 2011

The website that I chose to evaluate was a lemon!

I used the website evaluation form to assess the utility and the appropriateness of a website that a science teacher might use in the classroom. I found website that claimed to be an "online life science video sharing community." I thought at first that it might be a useful tool to view videos about life science and the medical field. I was disappointed by the lack of authorship and administrative monitoring of site content. Thus, I was forced to rate the website as "I would not recommend," because it would take a very critical thinker to sort through some of the misleading or dated information in the videos that are uploaded by users. If forced to use this website in class, I would most likely create an assignment that encouraged the students to seek out videos of very good and very poor content quality, so that they could share them with the class and explain the factors contributing to the quality.

So, the quest for an appropriate website for my classroom continues. I like the evaluation tool because it makes teachers think more deeply about how to locate high quality information and activities for their students.

No comments:

Post a Comment